safety policy states no harm to people and no accidents
Permit to work
Before conducting work that involves confined space entry, work on energy systems, ground disturbance in locations where buried hazards may exist, or hot work in potentially explosive environments, a permit must be obtained that..
- defines scope of work
- identifies hazards and assesses risk
- establishes control measures to eliminate or mitigate hazards
- links the work to other associated work permits or simultaneous operations
- is authorized by the responsible person(s)
- communicates above information to all involved in the work
- ensures adequate control over the return to normal operations
Working at heights
Working at heights of two meters (6 feet) or higher above the ground cannot proceed unless..
- a fixed platform is used with guard or hand rails, verified by a competent person(s) or...
- fall arrest equipment is used that is capable of supporting at least a 2275 kg (5000 lbs) static load per person and has..
- a proper anchor mounted, preferably overhead
- full body harness using double latch self locking snap hooks at each connection
- synthetic fiber lanyards
- shock absorber
- all arrest equipment will limit free fall to two meters (6 feet) or less
- a visual inspection of the fall arrest equipment and system is completed and any equipment that is damaged or has been activated is taken out of service
- person(s) are competent to perform the work
Any isolation of energy systems; mechanical, electrical, process, hydraulic and others, cannot proceed unless..
- the method of isolation and discharge of stored energy are agreed and executed by a competent person(s)
- any stored energy is discharged
- a system of locks and tags is utilised at isolation points
- a test is conducted to ensure the isolation is effective
- isolation effectiveness is periodically monitored
Confined space entry
Entry into any confined space cannot proceed unless..
- all other options have been ruled out
- permit is issued with authorization by a responsible person(s)
- permit is communicated to all affected personnel and posted, as required
- all persons involved are competent to do the work
- all sources of energy affecting the space have been isolated
- testing of atmospheres is conducted, verified and repeated as often as defined by the risk assessment
- stand-by person is stationed
- unauthorized entry is prevented
Lifts utilizing cranes, hoists, or other mechanical lifting devices will not commence unless..
- an assessment of the lift has been completed and the lift method and equipment has been determined by a competent person(s)
- operators of powered, lifting devices are trained and certified for that equipment
- rigging of the load is carried out by a competent person(s)
- lifting devices and equipment has been certified for use within the last 12 months (at a minimum)
- load does not exceed dynamic and/or static capacities of the lifting equipment
- any safety devices installed on lifting equipment are operational
- all lifting devices and equipment have been visually examined before each lift by a competent person(s)
Manangement of change
Work arising from temporary and permanent changes to organization, personnel, systems, process, procedures, equipment, products, materials or substances, and laws and regulations cannot proceed unless a Management of Change process is completed, where applicable, to include..
- a risk assessment conducted by all impacted by the change
- development of a work plan that clearly specifies the timescale for the change and any control measures to be implemented regarding..
- equipment, facilities and process
- operations, maintenance, inspection procedures
- training, personnel and communication
- authorization of the work plan by the responsible person(s) through completion
All categories of vehicle, including selfpropelled mobile plant, must not be operated unless..
- Vehicle is fit for purpose, inspected and confirmed to be in a safe working order
- Number of passengers does not exceed manufacturer's design specification of the vehicle
- Loads are secure and do not exceed manufacturer's design specifications or legal limits for the vehicle
- Seat belts are installed and worn by all occupants
- Safety helmets are worn by riders and passengers of motorcycles, bicycles, quards, snow-mobiles and similar types of vehicle
Work that involves a manmade cut, cavity, trench or depression in the earth's surface formed by earth removal cannot proceed unless..
- a hazard assessment of the work site is completed by the competent person(s)
- all underground hazards, i.e., pipelines, electric cables, etc., have been identified, located and if necessary, isolated
Where persons are to enter an excavation..
- a confined space entry permit shall be issued if the entry meets the confined space definition
- ground movement is controlled and collapse is prevented by systematically shoring, sloping, benching, etc., as appropriate
- ground and environmental conditions are continuously monitored for change
BP's safety policy states no harm to people and no accidents. Everyone who works for or on behalf of BP is responsible for their safety and the safety of those around them.