|Title: PIPING LINE CLASS 150||Standard No.: PLC 150
Page : 1 of -
Issue Date : December, 2011
|Approvals:||Sponsor||Manager, Stationary Equipment||Director, Specialty Engineering|
|Name:||M.C. Donald||A. Lincoln||S. Stallone|
|Signature:||on org file||on org file||on org file|
PIPE SPECIFICATIONS AND PIPING LINE CLASSES
The purpose of a pipe specification is to provide standards for pipe, fittings, flanges, Valves, etc. suitable in conveying gas, water, oil and other liquids and products. In the oil, gas, chemical and other industries, the therm "pipe spec" is the common name.
Pipe spec's are technical standards and formal documents, where uniform engineering or technical criteria, methods, processes and practices are described. In petro and chemical industries, hundreds of pipe spec's are used, each for a specific product and or process.
A pipe specification includes many different documents. There are spec's for the various piping materials (Carbon Steel, Stainless Steel and the many other exotics), the various pressure and temperature classes, etc.. Therefore a pipe spec is divided into so-called Piping Line Class (PLC) documents. A PLC document tells you exactly which materials for a pipe system must to be used.
For example: a line must be partially replaced, and you want to order new material.
The PLC document explains that you need to use Carbon steel pipe with a wall thickness XS to NPS 1½, and above with a wall thickness STD. Usually this also applies to the butt weld fittings. Furthermore, the doc tells you the pressure rating of the flanges, which gasket must be placed and which bolts must be used. In the doc are also links to other standards, such as testing, welding, inspection, painting and so on. You will also find a so-called Branch Table, which tells you how a branch is to be made.
PART 1 GENERAL
A. This specification covers carbon steel piping for general non-corrosive gas and liquid process service.
B. Design limits based on ASME B16.42 Class 150 ductile iron Valves & on EWP's temperature limit on PTFE in gaskets.
C. Corrosion Allowance: 0.0625 inch.
|1/2 - 24||250
|-20 to +100
|-29 to +38
1.2 RELATED DOCUMENTS
A. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Notes"
B. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Fabrication"
C. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Installation"
D. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Testing"
E. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Welding"
F. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, Carbon Steel Welding"
G. Specification Doc. No..., "Pipe Weld Inspection and Testing"
H. Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Cleaning"
I. Standard Details Doc. No..., Doc. No..., Doc. No...,Doc. No...
1.3.1 American Petroleum Institute (API)
- API 594 Wafer Check Valves
- API 600 Steel Gate Valves, Flanged or Buttwelding Ends
- API 602 Compact Carbon Steel Gate Valves
- API 607 Fire Test for Soft-Seated Quarter Turn Valves
- API 608 Metal Ball Valves
- API 609 Butterfly Valves, Lug Type and Wafer Type
1.3.2 American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- ASME B31.3 Process Piping
- ASME B1.20.1 Pipe Threads, General Purpose (inch)
- ASME B16.5 Steel Pipe Flanges and Pipe Fittings
- ASME B16.9 Wrought Steel Buttweld Fittings
- ASME B16.10 Face-to-Face and End-to-End Dimensions Ferrous Valves
- ASME B16.11 Forged Steel Fittings Socketwelding and Threaded
- ASME B16.21 Nonmetallic Flat Gaskets for Pipe Flanges
- ASME B16.25 Buttwelding Ends
- ASME B16.34 Steel Valves - Flanged and Buttwelding Ends
- ASME B16.36 Orifice Flanges
- ASME B16.48 Steel Line Blanks
- ASME B31.1 Power Piping
- ASME B31.3 Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery Piping
- ASME B36.10 Welded and Seamless Wrought Steel Pipe
1.3.3 Manufacturer Standard Society Practice (MSS)
- MSS SP-25 MSS Standard Marking System for Valves, Fittings, Flanges and Unions
- MSS SP-79 Socket-Welding Reducer Inserts
- MSS SP-83 Class 3000 Steel Pipe Unions, Socket Welding and Threaded
- MSS SP-95 Swage(d) Nipples and Bull Plugs
- MSS SP-97 Integrally Reinforced Forged Branch Outlet Fittings - Socket Welding, Threaded and Buttwelding Ends
1.3.4 Process Industry Practice (PIP)
- PIP PNSM0001 Piping Line Class Designator System
PART 2 PRODUCTS
|1/2 - 2||ASTM A106-B CS SMLS PE XS/80||02||201322|
|2 1/2 -10||ASTM A53-B TYPE-E CS ERW BE STD/40||203270|
|12 - 24||ASTM A53-B TYPE-E CS ERW BE STD/0.375||203270|
|1/2 - 2||CAP ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||206799|
|1/2 - 2||COUPLING ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||207497|
|1/2 - 2||COUPLING RED ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||203384|
|1/2 - 2||ELL 45 ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||203385|
|1/2 - 2||ELL 90 ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||207091|
|1/2 - 2||INSERT SW RED ASTM A105 CS 3000 MSS SP-79||203383|
|1/2 - 2||TEE ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||207008|
|1/2 - 2||RED TEE ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW ASME B16.11||203386|
|1/2 - 2||UNION ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW MSS SP-83||207007|
|2 1/2 - 24||CAP ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||203343|
|2 1/2 - 24||ELL 45 ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||203344|
|2 1/2 - 24||ELL 90 LR ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||203345|
|2 1/2 - 24||ELL 90 SR ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.28||203346|
|2 1/2 - 24||RED CONC ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||203347|
|2 1/2 - 24||RED ECC ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||203348|
|2 1/2 - 24||TEE ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||203349|
|2 1/2 - 24||TEE RED ASTM A234-WPB CS BW STD ASME B16.9||205300|
|1/2 - 2||ELBOLET ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW MSS SP-97||205512|
|1/2 - 2||LATROLET ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW MSS SP-97||-|
|1/2 - 2||SOCKOLET ASTM A105 CS 3000 SW MSS SP-97||203425|
|2 1/2 -6||WELDOLET ASTM A105 CS BW STD MSS SP-97||203405|
|SWAGES, NIPPLES, THREADED ITEMS:|
|1/2 - 1||NIPPLE PIPE TBE NPT ASTM A106-B CS XS||200151|
|1/2 - 1||NIPPLE PIPE POE-TOE NPT ASTM A106-B CS XS||05||203433|
|1/2 - 4||SWAGE NIPPLE CONC ASTM A234 WPB CS XS BLE-PSE MSS SP-95||207151|
|1/2 - 3||SWAGE NIPPLE CONC ASTM A234-WPB CS BBE XS MSS SP-95||203435|
|1/2 - 2||SWAGE NIPPLE ECC ASTM A234-WPB CS BBE XS MSS SP-95||205515|
|FITTINGS - THREADED:|
|1/2 - 2||BUSHING ASTM A105 CS NPT HEX ASME B16.11||05||203362|
|1/2 - 2||CAP ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT ASME B16.11||05||200147|
|1/2 - 1||COUPLET (VOGT) ASTM A105 CS 6000 NPT||05||206998|
|1/2 - 2||COUPLING ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT ASME B16.11||05||203363|
|1/2 - 2||COUPLING RED ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT ASME B16.11||05||203364|
|1/2 - 2||CROSS ASTM A105 CS 2000 NPT ASME B16.11||05, 06||-|
|1/2 - 2||ELL 45 ASTM A105 CS 2000 NPT ASME B16.11||05, 06||203366|
|1/2 - 2||ELL 90 ASTM A105 CS 2000 NPT ASME B16.11||05, 06||203367|
|1/2 - 2||PLUG ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT HEX HD ASME B16.11||05||203371|
|1/2 - 2||TEE ASTM A105 CS 2000 NPT ASME B16.11||05, 06||203370|
|1/2 - 2||TEE RED ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT ASME B16.11||05||203431|
|1/2 - 2||THREDOLET ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT MSS SP-97||05||203422|
|1/2 - 2||UNION ASTM A105 CS 3000 NPT MSS SP-83||05||203372|
|1/2 - 24||BLIND ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.5-150 RF||200153|
|1/2 - 24||FLANGE SO ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.5-150 RF||200158|
|1 - 2||FLANGE ORIFICE WN ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.36-300 RF XS||206424|
|2 1/2 - 6||FLANGE ORIFICE WN ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.36-300 RF STD||206425|
|1/2 - 2||FLANGE THREAD NPT ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.5-150 RF||05||200155|
|1/2 - 2||FLANGE SW ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.5-150 RF||-|
|2 1/2 - 24||FLANGE WN ASTM A105 CS ASME B16.5-150 RF STD||03||205382|
|1/2 - 24||FLAT RING ASME B16.5-150 F-PTFE 1/16 THK, ASME B16.21 TABLE 4||205867|
|1 - 6||FLAT RING ASME B16.5-300 F-PTFE 1/16 THK, ASME B16.21 TABLE 5||205815|
|-||STUD ASTM A193-B7 STL||200021|
|-||NUT HEAVY HEX ASTM A194-2H STL||200029|
|1/2 - 24||SPACER LINE ASTM A516-70 CS 150 RF||14||205415|
|2 - 24||STRAINER TEMPORARY CONICAL CS 150 RF||18||205516|
|1/2 - 2||Y-STRAINER ASTM A105 CS 600 NPT SS SCREEN||05||-|
|1 - 12||Y-STRAINER ASTM A216-WCB CS ASME B16.5-150 RF||205892|
|1/2 - 2||BALL ASTM A216-WCB CS 1000 SW 316 SS BALL FULL PORT
3-PC R-PTFE SEATS
|1/2 - 6||BALL ASTM A216 STL 150 RF PTFE SEATS, GRAPH PKG, Grounded||268||205020|
|3 - 14||BUTTERFLY LUG ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 RF, NPS 10 & >GEAR
PTFE SEATS & SEALS
|1/2 - 2||CHECK H-LIFT ASTM A105 CS 800 SW GRAPH||228||200201|
|2 1/2 - 12||CHECK SWING ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 RF||34||215||205010|
|6 - 14||CHECK WAFER ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 W/ SPRING||22, 34||236||205553|
|1/2 - 2||GATE ASTM A105 CS 800 SW CR TR GRAPH||261||200206|
|3 - 14||GATE ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 BW STD HF NPS 14 & >GEAR GRAPH||24||240||200203|
|1/2 - 14||GATE ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 RF HF NPS 14 & >GEAR GRAPH||239||200202|
|1/2 - 2||GLOBE ASTM A105 CS 800 SW HF GRAPH||283||200210|
|3 - 12||GLOBE ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 RF HF GRAPH||272||205191|
|3 - 6||GLOBE ASTM A216-WCB CS 300 BW STD GRAPH||24||272C||205726|
|1 - 6||GLOBE 3-PORT ASTM A216-WCB CS 150 RF GRAPH||36||270K||208503|
|3 - 10||PLUG CI 150 RUBBER LINED ECCENTRIC PLUG LIMIT TO 180°F||33||195||205562|
|1/2 - 6||PLUG DUCTILE IRON 150 RF PTFE SLEEVE||34||180K||205062|
|1/2 - 8||PLUG (LOW EMISSION) D-IRON PTFE SLEEVE 150 RF||35||180||208521|
- 02 - Pipe Bending shall be used ONLY where specified on the drawings or where approved in writing by the EWP project engineer.
- 03 - Specify WN flanges adjacent to welded fittings and/or Butterfly Valves as alternates only.
- 05 - Threaded joints are permitted only at terminal of vent, drain, and hydrostatic test connections, and at instrument take-off points, and to match equipment.
- 06 - EWP's TED site preference, class 2000 threaded FS fittings are made only in 45° and 90° elbows, tees, and crosses. The class 2000 fittings are rated same as sch XS/80 (max) threaded pipe. Class 3000 fittings found in existing lines may be replaced by class 2000.
- 14 - Line blinds, spacers, restricting orifices, and spectacle blinds shall be per Standard Details Doc. No...01 thru 04.
- 18 - Conical Strainer to be used as temporary start-up strainer at pumps.
- 20 - Thread sealant to be used on all thread joints except if seal welding is used. Refer to Specification Doc. No....
- 22 - These Valves have no flanges but are installed between line flanges with extra length bolts.
- 23 - Cast Valves used in "critical service" or "very critical" service should be considered for radiographic inspection.
- 24 - BW gate or globe is for alternate use.
- 25 - Reducing fittings that have ends of different thickness must show thickness (e.g., Conc. Red - SCH XS x SCH STD).
- 31 - Butterfly Valves NPS 6 & smaller w/ handle; NPS 8 & larger w/ gear operator. Do not use above 177°C service.
- 32 - Intended for orifice taps only. 33 - Doc. No... for slurry service.
- 34 - Valves with PTFE may be chosen for use in the OXO reactor loop piping.
- 35 - Valve Index 180 is alternate for 180K.
- 36 - May be used for Relief Valve changeover.
PART 3 EXECUTION
3.1 Piping, General Notes
See Specification Doc. No...
3.2 Assembly Details
Following are recommended vent/drain and instrument connections.
Other connections may be shown on design:
|VENT & DRAIN CONNECTION ASSEMBLIES (STANDARD DETAILS DOC. NO...):|
|1/2||UNVALVED VENT/DRAIN 1/2 SW TEE FLG||Doc. No...|
|3/4||UNVALVED VENT/DRAIN 3/4 SW TEE FLG||Doc. No...|
|1 - 2||UNVALVED VENT/DRAIN SW TEE/INS 3/4 FLG||Doc. No...|
|2 1/2 - 6||UNVALVED VENT/DRAIN 3/4 SOL FLG||Doc. No...|
|8 - 24||UNVALVED VENT/DRAIN 1 SOL FLG||Doc. No...|
|1/2||VALVED VENT/DRAIN 1/2 SW TEE 1/2 GATE||Doc. No...|
|3/4||VALVED VENT/DRAIN 3/4 SW TEE 3/4 Gate Valve||Doc. No...|
|1 - 2||VALVED VENT/DRAIN SW TEE/INS 3/4 Gate Valve||Doc. No...|
|2 1/2 - 6||VALVED VENT/DRAIN 3/4 SOL Gate Valve||Doc. No...|
|8 - 24||VALVED VENT/DRAIN 1 SOL Gate Valve||Doc. No...|
|PRESSURE CONNECTION ASSEMBLIES (STANDARD DETAILS DOC. NO...):|
|1/2||PRESSURE CONN 1/2 SW TEE GATE COUPLET||Doc. No...|
|3/4||PRESSURE CONN 3/4 SW TEE GATE COUPLET||Doc. No...|
|1 - 2||PRESSURE CONN SW TEE/INS 3/4 GATE COUPLET||Doc. No...|
|2 1/2 - 24||PRESSURE CONN SOL 3/4 GATE COUPLET||Doc. No...|
|TEMPERATURE CONNECTION ASSEMBLIES (STANDARD DETAILS DOC. NO...):|
|1/2 - 1||TEMPERATURE CONN 1-1/2 SW TEE/INSERT FLANGE||Doc. No...|
|1 1/2||TEMPERATURE CONN 1-1/2 SW TEE FLANGE||Doc. No...|
|2||TEMPERATURE CONN 2" SW TEE/INS 1-1/2 FLANGE||Doc. No...|
|2 1/2 - 24||TEMPERATURE CONN 1-1/2 SW ELBOLET FLANGE||Doc. No...|
|2 1/2 - 24||TEMPERATURE CONN 1-1/2 SOL 1-1/2 FLANGE||Doc. No...|
|ORIFICE TAP CONNECTION ASSEMBLIES (STANDARD DETAILS DOC. NO...):|
|2 - 4||ORIFICE FLANGES 1/2 SW Ball Valves||Doc. No...|
|6 - 24||ORIFICE VENA TAPS 1/2 SW Ball Valves||Doc. No...|
A. See Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Fabrication," Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Welding,"
Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, Carbon Steel Welding," and Specification Doc. No..., "Pipe Weld Inspection & Testing."
A. See Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Installation"
A. See Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Testing"
B. Vacuum Piping System: Apply Pneumatic Leak Test with internal pressure at 1.5 times the maximum operating external pressure, or minimum 15 psig (103 kPag, 1.03 bar-g, 1.06 kgf/cm2)
C. Category D Piping System: Apply Initial Service Leak Test
D. Normal Service Piping System: Apply standard Hydrostatic Leak Test.
E. Category M Piping System: Apply both a standard Hydrostatic Leak Test & a Sensitive Leak Test with helium tracer gas.
F. Maximum Hydrostatic Test Pressure: 413 psig (2848 kPag, 28.4 bar-g, 29.0 kgf/cm2)
A. See Specification Doc. No..., "Piping, General Cleaning"
90 DEGREE BRANCH TABLE
S = SOCKOLET
V = SW TEE W/ INSERT
T = TEE
W = WELDOLET
U = UNREINF. STUB-IN
- D or V may be substituted by E.
- S or W may be substituted by P (minimum pad width = 1").
- P = Reinforcing pad with minimum thickness equal to header thickness, and width equal to 1/2 of the branch nominal pipe size. Drill 1/8" (3mm) diameter hole in each pad section for venting (a weld gap is acceptable as a means of venting).
END OF PIPE SPECIFICATION
The primary purpose of the Pipe Fabrication Institute is
to promote the highest standards of excellence in the pipe fabrication industry.